Friday, March 27, 2020

Week 2 update

Liquefied salmon being pumped out of MOWI open net pens in Newfoundland after a major fish kill this past summer.  Photo Credit: ASF/Bill Bryden
For me, as I suspect it was for many, this was my second full week working form home and staying socially distanced.  It presented challenges, but fortunately for me these were relatively benign compared to what many are going through.  My trials mostly involved trying to maintain normalcy and get work done in a household that also contains 25 animals (1 dog, 1 cat, 8 rabbits including two less than two weeks old, 10 chickens, 5 ducks) plus my 2 kids and wife who is also trying to work.  Still despite this I count myself lucky as we are all healthy and safe and I am still able to work.  As we all deal with this and our own personal situations, I wanted to hope that you all stay healthy and the positive reminder that we can and will get through this.  I have included a few pictures of my creatures becuase when they aren't destroying my house or my sanity they are quite cute.




Despite my distractions, I was able to be on the phone and online to continue to work to protect wild Atlantic Salmon.  My work focus this week has  has been mostly around aquaculture.  This week there was a land -based aquaculture license application that opened up for public comment, so I spent some time trying to find out about that application.  You can learn about how to comment on this application at https://novascotia.ca/fish/aquaculture/public-information/public-notice/Administrative_Hearing_FINAL_-_AQ_1441_-_2020.03.17.pdf .  The public comment period will be open until 11:59 PM on April 17, 2020.

I also spent some time this week trying to get clarity from the NS Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture (NS DFA) and the Aquaculture Review Board (ARB) on how they will be proceeding during the COVID 19 restrictions.  Earlier today they released a statement that essentially said the department will continue to function, provide services, accept and review applications, but they are extending all aquaculture option area deadlines and the ARB will not be meeting to make decisions on new open net pen applications.  You can see the full NSDFA announcement here: (https://novascotia.ca/fish/aquaculture/public-information/notification-of-changes-in-aquaculture-operations-and-procedures-in%20response-to%20COVID-19.pdf).  This was an important announcement as several of the Cermaq option areas were set to expire today.  In anticipation of this I also spent some time this week writing a letter to Cermaq, copied to NS DFA, outlining our concerns if they were to proceed with license applications for these areas.  These were points I had already raised with them in person but I felt it was important to re-iterate our message to Cermaq as they reached this decision point.  With today's announcement from NS DFA that decision by Cermaq has been delayed.  As we wait here on their decision, our friends at the Ecology Action Centre have put together a list of four actions that everyone can take in coming days:
  1. Write a letter to Cermaq (online or by mail; Cc your elected officials, being sensitive to their circumstances)
  2. Call Amy at Cermaq (1-250-202-7680)
  3. Tweet at Cermaq
  4. Encourage others to write
Cermaq's email: contact.canada@cermaq.com

Cermaq’s Twitter: @CermaqCanada


Although we encourage people to send personalized letters, as they are always the most powerful, the EAC have also set up a one-click letter at their website. This will go to Cermaq Canada, cc Minister Colwell, and Minister Jordan at DFO. Please feel free to share this. Note: Keep in mind that public officials are very busy handling concerns related to COVID-19 right now, and some may be using their email and/or Twitter account for these purposes; please be sensitive to their circumstances!
Thanks again to Simon Ryder-Burbidge and his colleagues at EAC for putting that togethor

In addition to my animals and aquaculture I was also able to meet online with my co-workers at ASF and do some planning on how we can continue to stay in contact with you, our members, partners, affiliates, and salmon lovers during these uncertain times.   I will continue to make regular posts to this blog but as many of you may have seen in a message today from our President, Bill Taylor,  ASF will be putting out regular updates, including blogs and photo journals to keep you in the loop as to what we are working on and to celebrate some of the fantastic work being done around the salmon world.  I will be writing an update on  all the good work on wild Atlantic Salmon recovery hat has been happening in Nova Scotia on the Eastern Shore.  No timeline yet on when my post will come up so stay tuned.

Normally at this time of year we would be hosting a number of dinners.  These events are not only important fundraisers for us but are also important opportunities to meet people face-to-face and get excited for the upcoming fishing season.  Given the circumstances this year we prudently decided to postpone these events but as a sort of proxy we are going to be hosting a number of online auctions.The Moncton auction (https://ibidmobile.net/asfmoncton/auction/) went live this week and so far has been well received.  It will be open until this Sunday (March 29th) at 12:00pm, and has some fantastic items so get your bids in soon.  I have been checking in regularly as I have already been out bid a few times.

I will close with the reminder that my door, at least virtually, is always open.  IF you have questions, concerns, or just want to chat shoot me a message (khunter@asf.ca) or give me a call (902-870-7210).

Stay safe

Kris

1 comment:

  1. Fixed the formatting issue. Thanks Andy for bringing that to my attention.

    ReplyDelete